As a jewelry stylist, one of the things I hear all the time is “I already have so much jewelry!” We have no problem going through our clothing and purging those pieces that no longer fit, that are out of style or that we simply do not want to wear anymore. It is easy to give it away to charity or send it off to consignment so we can bring in new up-to-date pieces. Clothing shopping is something we love to do and do it continuously. But when it comes to jewelry, we hang on to it forever. We have a very emotional attachment to our jewelry. What is funny to me about that is it is a lot less expensive to change up our jewelry wardrobes than it is our clothing wardrobes. Here are 5 steps that will help you purge your jewelry wardrobe, and in the long run help you save more money.
- Purge and Organize – Yes, the big step is up front and in your face. (This is the hard part, but just be honest with yourself about each piece.) It does not serve you to hang onto jewelry that you are just not wearing. So begin by sorting all your jewelry into 3 categories: pieces that you love and wear all the time, those that you are okay with and wear occasionally, and those that are just not your style anymore, you do not wear, and are just collecting dust. Once you have divided up all your jewelry then bag up all the pieces you want to get rid of and either donate them to a worthy cause like Dress for Success through the YWCA, or sell them. Organize the pieces that you love and wear all the time using attractive display fixtures so it is easy to find all your pieces and you’ll wear them more. Organize the in-between pieces on trays and place in a drawer so they are easy to get at in case you want to wear one, but not in front of you as you do not wear them often. These pieces are the ones you want to keep track of and possibly get rid of as time goes by. Once all the jewelry is organized, just rotate your jewelry through the stages on a monthly basis to keep it fresh and up-to-date.
- Evaluate - Pick out 10 of your favorite pieces, set them out and evaluate why you like them considering their shapes, color and how versatile they are. This will give you some insight into what you should add to your jewelry wardrobe to round it out and polish it up. Think about if you need to add some things that may shake up your looks, or if you should stay with your present look. This is a great time to be really reflective on what image you are projecting, and what you want to be projecting.
- Get Inspired – Read fashion magazines on what are the latest trends. Ask your favorite jewelry stylist what is hot and what will work for you. Envision yourself in at least one piece that is totally different from anything you have tried before. Also, pull out your datebook and scan for big events on the horizon – weddings, showers, or other parties – so you can think about how you want to look at those events.
- Make your List – Now write down what styles you are going to look for to fill in or change up what you have. Be as specific as you can.
- Shop!! – This is the fun part, and you can always bring along your personal jewelry stylist. Don’t shop with girlfriends as they may talk you into buying something that is not right for you. Try on all pieces before you buy. What looks good on the table may not suit you at all. Know your limits. If you do not love it then leave it!
Save money changing up your jewelry wardrobe and letting your accessories express your personality. Let your clothing be the canvas that you paint upon. The most important thing is to have fun with your jewelry and to let go of all those pieces you never wear. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me. I would be happy to help in any way.
Sorry, comments are closed for this article.